free hit counter code One SoCal Green: Masculinism, Feminism & Gender Equity: Time to Update the 10 KV?

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Masculinism, Feminism & Gender Equity: Time to Update the 10 KV?

I live for diaper changing tables in the Men's Restroom.

They are a sign to me that the feminist movement of the 1960s and early 1970s succeeded beyond all expectations in a few decades.

And indeed, my wife, a Green, was complaining the other night about the somewhat outdated inclusion of the word "Feminism" as one of the 10 Key Values on the GPCA site. It's not the issue of gender equity that she finds odd, but the old-timey term which tends to rankle.

And indeed, the GPUS formulation has the dual title "Feminism and Gender Equity." One could simply lope off "feminism" and have an inclusive ideal that was non-sexist (and therefore, in fact, feminist to a significant degree).

Now I admit that I am old enough to remember when "Women's Lib" was new; feminists were the holy-warriors for gender equity, and worked to unsettle and unseat the "male chauvinist" norm.

A little later, when I was in college, even though I am male, I considered myself a relatively evolved feminist, going out of my way to work to undo old gender stereotypes. Later still, as a lawyer, I often worked for female partners, often prosecuting gender bias cases. But I think it was, in fact, when I started working for female law partners on behalf of female executives that I realized that the word "feminist" had really outlived its need.

Gender equity still needed some help, but "feminism" had seen its day.

As proof of this, I note that, last year our local Arroyo Seco Greens had at least two very active stay-at-home dads, of which I was one.

In fact, as part of my continued contribution to feminism -- er, gender equity -- I spent many hours pestering establishments with no diaper changing table in the Men's Restroom.

The Starbuck's in LaVerne at D Street and Foothill Blvd. now has a diaper changing station in the men's room. Only in the men's room. I am amused to say that this is my fault. I did it. In an act of unselfconscious gender equity, I think I shamed them into it. [Click the Photo below for a readable view.]



In making this happen, I did not see it as an act of feminism -- although it could be tagged as such, I suppose. It was, perhaps, a case of non-macho "masculinism:" I am a man. But I am a parent first, and value the bonding time last year with my newborn daughter. I also think it is important to resist the sexist message that "ladies room only" diaper changing tables present.

So there we were in Starbucks every day for most of a year. With no diaper changing table.
If you are interested in the whole saga of the changing table in the Men's Restroom (only), it an be found here (Part I) and here (Part II) and here (Part III).
My favorite part of the story was when the regional manager offered to install a changing table for me -- in the Ladies Restroom!
See what I mean about gender equity? Feminism was nice, but really, we are sort of beyond that now, aren't we?

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Blogger samrocha said...

Hello, I searched for people to comment on feminism, I wrote a post today and like to find “experts” or people who care enough to dialogue… I am not trying to be pejorative but if you would like to engage in the dialogue at Debate Relate & Pontificate we would be very happy to read and respond to your opinions…

samrocha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home